The Rainbow Alliance is a community-based GSA providing supportive and affirming social activities for kids on the LGBTQIA+ spectrum and peer allies.
GSA Network is a next-generation LGBTQ racial and gender justice organization that empowers and trains queer, trans and allied youth leaders to advocate, organize, and mobilize an intersectional movement for safer schools and healthier communities.
The Rainbow Alliance will have one monthly meeting:
- The virtual meeting will be held on the 3rd Monday of every month from 7:00 pm to 8:00 pm, with a virtual advocacy meeting directly following until 9:00 pm.
Board Games and Crafts
Advocacy and Mentoring
Rainbow Alliance is open to kids in Connecticut ages 10-18 who are LGBTQIA+ or are a peer ally. We have gone virtual for the 2020-2021 school year. Information and resources are available to both kids and families on the TTYSB Rainbow Alliance page, but we also have a Google Classroom set up just for kids, to facilitate group video chats and game nights. Please email email@example.com for the classroom code to join.
20 Virtual LGBTQ+ Resources to Incorporate into Your Distance Learning Routine
This school year has thrown us some curveballs. If you are a teacher or caregiver looking to incorporate positive LGBTQIA+ resources into your distance learning routine, check out these K-12 virtual resources at FamilyEquality.org.
The Nest is offering creative events and activities for teens, with safe pick-up of materials offered. Check out their Meet Up page to sign up: https://www.meetup.com/Nest-Gatherings/
SOGIE Handbook: Click here
The Harvard Law School LGBTQ+ Advocacy Clinic (HLAC). The Trans Youth Handbook is a legal resource guide that covers the rights of trans youth across such a wide spectrum of situations, including identity documents, school, health care, non-affirming care environments, and work. Click here to access a mobile-friendly version. Click here to access a PDF version.
GLSEN Connecticut has made a number of rainbow-awesome e-books available for free! You’ll find favorite titles like Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe and Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, and discover new titles to enjoy. Check out the link to find out how to download them: More info
Gender Spectrum is a resource for LGBTQIA+ teens. They’re offering webinars and online support through a number of different platforms — Instagram, Zoom, etc. Follow the link below for their list of resources.
Open Doors: A Shoreline LGBT Youth Group (for Grades 8-12)
True Colors: Sexual Minority Youth & Family Services
Trevor Support Center
Loyola University Chicago is conducting a national online study called SnapshoT, using photos on the experience of transgender and gender-diverse youth living in the United States. If you are between 14 and 29 years old and identify as trans, you could participate and be eligible to win a gift card for completing this study. Complete survey
We also welcome you to share pics of your artwork or other creative creations to be featured here on the Rainbow Alliance Page. Selections will be updated regularly. You can submit under with credit given to you, or anonymously if you choose. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Daily Journal Prompt
- Name a smell that brings forward a good memory. It might be the scent of a favorite food, perfume, flower, or candle. Describe what you feel when you encounter that smell.
- You hear the sound of crashing waves and the salt-tinged wind tangles your hair. When you climb down the stairs to the beach, what’s the first thing you’re going to do?
- My favorite way to spend the day is….
- If you traveled back in time to anywhere in the world (and you didn’t have to worry about a timeline paradox), where would you go and what’s one thing you would change in the historical timeline?
- How would you define your sense of humor?
- List three self-soothing things that bring you comfort or help you during times of uncertainty.
- Create a new holiday. Who would celebrate it? What would you do to celebrate?
- What connections in nature help you feel calm, hopeful, free, or inspired?
- Cats and dogs rule the world. What’s that like?
- What lessons in resilience can you learn from your ancestors during uncertain times?
- You Freaky Friday and switch bodies with your archnemesis. What do you do with a day in their life?
- Listen to your body. What do you feel right now? Feel the rhythm of your heartbeat. Listen to your breath. What do you hear, see, smell, and feel right now?
- A giant box is delivered to your doorstep, addressed to you. There’s no sender listed. Who sent it and what’s in it?
- What do you see right now? Describe the colors, textures, sounds, smells, and shapes. What does this scene make you feel?
- If you had $1,000, what would you do with it?
- What’s your favorite thing about yourself?
- You wake up and you have a mermaid tail. What happens next?
- Make a list of ten things that make you smile.
- You’re an alien tourist visiting Earth. Describe a day visiting your hometown.
- If you could talk to your child self, what would you say to them?
- You’re put in charge of the world. What do you change to make the world a happier place?
- You’re given a houseboat. Do you choose to live on it? Describe your houseboat adventures.
- What did you want to be when you were little? (For example, you might have wanted to be a Care Bear when you grew up.) Describe a parallel life where you grew up and became exactly what you wanted to be.
- Write a travel guide for kids coming to your state. What are the must-sees?
- Write an acrostic poem for the word RAINBOW.
- You’re planting a garden. What features do you put in it? What do you grow?
- You wake up one morning and the adults around you can only say yes to any question. Describe your day.
- List five things that are important to you for you to feel healthy and safe.
- Make a list of alphabetical advice (one piece of advice for every letter of the alphabet).
- Write about a day in the life of a cat whose humans are home all the time now.
- Create a report card for yourself based on what you did today.